Disclaimer | This article may contain affiliate links, this means that at no cost to you, we may receive a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Designed by Affleck & de la Riva Architects and finished in 2009 in Montreal, Canada, this plaza displays on the McGill street which connects Oldport with the new contemporary city centre.
The Frères-Charon plaza was built in the XVII century in an industrial center by Charon brothers, where the centre of interest used to be a wind-mill, which has been demolished in 1840.
In this new project the team of designers marked the old mill on the site by using a different pavement, and also brought some colour and nature inside the city. A various palette of colours illuminates the plaza when the sun goes down, and combined with the tall vegetation, it offers a fairy-tale aspect. The round lines of the whorl contrasts with the street intersection shape and the rectangular facades nearby. The pavement inside the intervention invites the passer-by to come across the square.
The belle vue is situated symmetrical opposite to the old wind-mill track on the pavement, and subordinates the plaza, but not the surroundings. It also has a functional aspect as it hides the entrance to an underground stair tower which leads to a main sew command centre.
The project brings a fresh image in this area with its light simple idea, commemorating the old and embracing the new, but in the same time having in mind the functionality. Even though the vegetation matches perfectly and may be the biggest achievement in this project, the large quantity of colors which appear at night seem to exaggerate the fairy scent of the place.
Architects: Affleck & de la Riva Architects
Location: Canada, Montreal
Artist : Raphaëlle de Groot
Industrial Design: Morelli designers inc.
Urban Lighting: Gilles Arpin
Horticulture: Sandra Barone
Landscape: Robert Desjardins
Interpretation and Museology: Moitie-moitie inc.
Project Year: 2009
Photographs: Marc Cramer
Photo Courtesy to © Marc Cramer