Mickey Mouse is a celebrity today, the character changed the world, it made the mouse an entity that can now receive adjectives like cute and adorable from children, a group that might have never seen the animal in such a manner if it wasn`t for the cartoon character. The black and white show was followed by Tom and Jerry, a distinctive approach with a phenomenal success. These shows date back decades and yet they remain relevant, they are timeless, here to stay. The drawing tutorial that follows brings our own twist on a cute mouse in a scene that can be interpreted through numerous means as it portrays a mouse in a cat costume eating its cheese happily. The short adorable tutorial ” Learn How to Draw a Mouse” is a fun twist meant to represent the mouse and cat under an educative light, it is the 8th tutorial in the Cool Things to Draw Collection that we highly encourage you to visit if you`re interested in sketching and drawing. More information on cats and mice after the break.
To further emphasize the educational role of the drawing tutorial fun facts about cats and fun facts about mice have been curated, learn more about these animals in the following rows.
- The plural of the mouse is mice, the animal is part of the rodent order and it is a small mammal widely spread around the world.
- Characteristic features for the mouse are the pointed snout, petite round ears and long tails with little to no hair.
- In the world there are more than 30 species of mice.
- The house mouse is the most common species that one can encounter, other common species that can be found near the house are the American white-footed mouse, the field house and the deer mouse.
- The mouse is a nocturnal creature with poor eyes-sight to which they make up with good hearing and smell.
- Numerous predators target mice, a few common ones are cats, wild dogs, foxes, birds of prey and snakes.
- In the wild, the mouse is a herbivore that feeds on fruit and grains from various plants.
- The tail of the mouse can grow as long as the body.
- The whiskers of the mouse can sense changes in temperature, with the whiskers a mouse can also map its path with ease.
- A complex burrow nestles the mouse, this always features a long escape route and long entrances. The petite rodent is very clean and tidy being known to have separate areas for food, sleeping and toilet.
- A mouse eats at least 15-20 times a day and their home is always built close to a food source to avoid travelling long distance. Their food source is always 8 meters away or closer.
- Mice and rats are the most used animals for experiments.
- In Zambia and northern Malawi the mouse is a delicacy and they`re often consumed as good protein source.
- In the wild a mouse lives up to six months due to the immense number of predators. In laboratories or grown indoors as a pet the mouse can live up to two years.
- 1928 brought to us the Micky Mouse of Walt Disney as the first mouse character in children cartoons, multiple popular mice followed such as Speedy Gonzales, Jerry from Tom and Jerry and Stuart Little.
- Cats are by far the most popular pet in the world, at least 500 million domestic cats being recorded so far.
- The connection between human and cats is at least 10000 years old.
- To conserve energy cats sleep 13-14 hours a day and they`re adapted to hunt small mice and rats, being equipped with claws and teeth adapted to the practice.
- One group of cats is entitled a clowder, the male cat is called a tom where the female cast is called a molly or a queen, petite, young cats are widely known as kittens.
- Domestic cats weight from 4 kilograms (8 lb 13 oz) to 5 kilograms (11 lb 0 oz) yet the record for the heaviest domestic cat is recorded at 21.297 kilograms (46 lb 15.2 oz).
- Known to be lethal hunters, cats walk their back paws in almost the exactly same place as the front paws in movement thus keeping noise and visible track to a minimum, sneaky predators.
- Cats unlike mice have powerful night vision that allows them to see at level of lights six time lower than humans, this feature works extraordinary with the excellent sense of smell and powerful hearing.
- The older cats are known to be aggressive towards kittens.
- Domestic cats and especially kittens adore to play, chase toys and play fight. In their play kittens also practice their skills for hunting and fighting.
- The average cat lives 12 to 15 years and they spend a large amount of this time licking their coats to keep themselves clean.
- The feral cat is seen as a pest and a natural threat to native animals.
Learn How to Draw a Mouse
STEP 1 – draw a circle
Start small, draw a simple circle along with its horizontal and vertical axes.
STEP 2 – add new axes
These will help you determine one ellipse that is about to border the cat costume on the petite mouse.
STEP 3 – start drawing the costume
The ellipse is now here along with the teeth of the cat costume and its eyes.
STEP 4 – the snout surfaces
Mice are known thanks to their adorable snout, so differently portrayed by each legendary mouse character in cartoons. The snout of our mouse is cute and short.
STEP 5 – Draw the eyes
In cartoons the eyes are highly relevant, we`ve drawn them big here and they are to become very cute, soon.
STEP 6 – Add ears
The cat costume now receives ears.
STEP 7 – Drawing the Body
On the vertical axis now a second circle appears to determine the belly of the cat costume.
STEP 8 – draw the tail hands and feet
The petite mouse will have his hand happily positioned on the belly, grasping the cheese triangle with immense delight.
STEP 9 – Erase the construction lines and draw the cheese
The cheese surfaces after the construction lines have been erased, the eyes are detailed, stitching appears as well as a patch that makes the costume more humane.
STEP 10 – shadowing and detailing
Ears are now more detailed along with the cheese and tail. Shadows have also been added here and there to offer depth.
STEP 11 – Add more shades and detail the body
The eyes of both presences have been detailed along with the body, more shadows have been added.
STEP 11 – create a background
An epic illustration set the scene for the petite mouse portraying the set from which he chose his food. Be creative, feel free to improvise your own background.
STEP 12 – color the scene
It is time to have some fun, color the entire scene with as much color as possible. Don`t leave a spot blank, have fun in the process.
The mouse is and will remain a big presence in cartoons and your setting is surely worthy of being part of this movement. Feel free to add you drawing in the comment section below or email it towards us and we will add it in this article proudly. We would love to hear from you in the comment section below.
This feature is part of the “Things to Draw” Collection of drawings realized by Homesthetics Magazine in partnership with Designaissance Studio. The contents of the tutorial are copyright protected as it is the collection itself; if you are interested on sharing the drawings on your website or magazine please contact the magazine. Feel free to print or share the page for educative purposes as this is the definitory purpose of our mission with this collection.
111 Best, Fun and Cool Things to Draw
8 Best Cartooning Books For Artists Today