There are many hobbies one can take up to fill up spare time, some go fishing or hiking whilst others embrace the arts, in the form of singing, dancing, writing or randomly building awesome wooden plane models. One of the most accessible and creative act is drawing though, unlike playing an instrument or skying which presume a certain investment and context for exercising your hobby, drawing only requires a blank sheet of paper and a pencil, for beginners at least. Those who have some experience can go a step further, buy some brushes, a palette and colors and embrace painting. Drawing or sketching are activities that start with simple concepts that are easy to grasp and after a few attempts things will start to feel natural. Start with the basics, you`ll find inspiring cool things to draw in the comment section below and online numerous free step by step drawing tutorials have surfaced, all meant to encourage you to take on artistic endeavors.
For those of you who are in the beginning, we have prepared some easy to draw, lovely ideas and we hope the examples in this article will give you fresh inspiration for upcoming projects, cast a glance.
1. Colorful mandala drawing
To find inspiration for a beautiful drawing like this one, just take a closer look at the nature around you. You’ll find beautiful patterns in flowers, leaves and snowflakes.
2. impressive rainbow feather
If you can create awesome line designs, then start working on your color skills. A good sketch is always going to impress. Keep it simple.
3. playing with colors
4. sketchy holding hands drawing
Draw with your heart, not your mind and the result will be much more original and personal. Keep in mind though that everything in nature is based on math and has a logic behind it.
5. TRANSMITTING emotions though the human body is an art
6. time themed intriguing drawing
A result like this is definitely something personal. Nature isn’t mimicked but rather used to create something that only that drawer can imagine.
7. simple and easy girls sketch
via Riley Griffith
8. using contrast to create a nighttime landscape
If you look around you’ll notice that objects around us are not defined by straight or curved lines. Instead, what gives them shape are colors, textures and shadows. Our eyes perceive the difference between an illuminated surface and a shaded one.
9. Simple and natural
The beautiful may reside in the unknown, it may find refuge in the little things, the feathers on the dress and the butterfly in her hair are not just details, they make the design.
10. floral themed line design
There are a variety of methods to define a shape. This example uses only lines that change their curvature according to the form and orientation of every leaf.
via Marina Ávila
11. transforming animals into complex geometric drawings
After mastering the art of drawing, try to create your own distinctive style. There are no limits in art and anything that looks good is applauded.
12. nature inspired animal shaped trees
I love the way the artist has perceived the natural world. Shaping trees as animals reveals a great amount of talent that comes from the heart.
13. find inspiration in the little things
14. abstract shapes are easier to draw
15. drawing is not always an exact science
Sometimes drawings can be support techniques and illustrations over an image. A camera can express reality with perfect accuracy. An artist might feel the need to challenge his imagination to create something new.
16. love is in the little things
Even the simplest drawings evoke memories and feelings. It’s not the detailing that counts but it transmits to the viewer.
17. creativity is the key to any drawing
Some artists create paintings unlike anything else. The more unusual they are, the harder it is to see what they wanted to express. Any viewer will look twice to try to understand its meaning.
via Keithey Love
18. drawings can send a powerful message
19. contours are enough to create a shape
Use any means to shape the elements you wish to draw. Do not limit yourself to conventional methods and see the potential in any concept.
20. DETAILing equals intriguing drawings
21. colors contribute greatly to the message
Bright colors suggest a scene full of life and happiness. Pastel and darker colors like this one suggest a rather sad setting, meant to express some powerful feelings.
22. kids love cute little drawings
23. true artists are often perfectionists
The difference between a drawing and the real world is that what surrounds us is not shaped by lines. You don’t see them in a photo either. Use only gradients and colors to create a more photo realistic image.
via Shelby White
24. PHOTO REALISTIC drawings are always impressive
25. use shadows to create shapes
The wrinkles in the giraffe`s face are basically defining its shape, without them, it wouldn’t be so distinctive. How to draw them though, that’s the catch. It takes a lot of practice to master it. The point is that our brains perceive the difference between shadow and light, thus creating a mental image of what we see, this contrast creates depth . Same thing happens in nature. This is only a mean of representing a tri-dimensional shape on a sheet of paper.
via Cherie Jenkins
26. simple sketches are sometimes PREFERRED
27. there’s a logic behind any drawing
The most accessible way of drawing a complex shape is to firstly create a set of boundaries that define the general shape. Then, step by step, you get closer to fine details and rendering.
28. carefully chosen proportions define the human body
It all starts with some basic contours. Artist rarely go straight to the fine detailing. Moreover, each part of the human body can be defined geometrically or it can at least be constrained to a geometric shape that is easier to draw. Afterwards, it’s all about imagination and talent.
29. take everything step by step
Especially if you’re a beginner, don’t go for the end result right away. Do some contouring first and then learn to enrich them with shades and colors.
30. use beautiful patterns to create art
31. flowers are easy to draw
Seeking inspiration in nature is always a good advice for beginners and people who want to exercise their drawing skills. Once your hand will be used to draw what it sees, it will be much easier for you to express your thoughts and imagination.
32. find joy in anything you do
33. no color sometimes is the right color
34. OCCASIONALLY erasing is as important as drawing
You can almost feel the heat of the flame right? That’s thanks to the contrast between the flame and the background.
35. interesting ideas come from beautiful minds
via Renae Keatley
36. combine various elements into unique designs
37. awesome floral themed black and white painting
38. the process of constructing a human face
Almost any shape can be reduced to simple geometric forms like spheres and cubes. Start by dividing the object into clear simple parts and then add the details.
39. everything in nature is carefully proportioned
40. alluring monochromatic mini landscapes
Carefully arranged, these amazing drawings would create a beautiful collection to beautify a wall or a nightstand. Either way, the artist has succeeded in creating very detailed images with simple means, through passion.
41. IRREGULARLY beautiful distinct forms
42. charming pen drawn eye and patterns
43. explore the beauty of the human body
Just like any other occupation, drawing requires skill and talent but through careful studying and understanding the process, anyone can master it and create wonderful images.
44. you don’t need lines to define a shape
45. nature is always a good source of inspiration
via Toni Kelly
46. turning a sketch into a DETAILED shape
47. starting a drawing from a powerful idea
An artist surges inspiration from everything and unusual ideas, beautiful concepts, surface. A common drawing will not raise too many eyebrows but an exceptional concept will make everybody curious.
48. imagination is a limitless source of ideas
49. beautiful floral WHALE drawing
50. details make the design
via © Alfred Basha Mais
51. nature demands its right
One flower is surely beautiful but imagine a dozen. It takes quite a lot of work but the result will most likely be worth hanging on the wall.
via © Alfred Basha Mais
52. see the small things that make the world beautiful
via © Alfred Basha Mais
53. fascinating liner hand drawing
It looks so good I almost wish it was real! Grandma’s cookies are all that’s missing.
54. Try to CREATE something new
55. all lines rock drawing
There’s a secret to representing any shape. Choose the one that fits your style the best and start practicing.
56. creating small and cute drawings
57. you don’t need to be exact to express something
Some type of drawings, especially architectural ones require just enough information to express an idea, a place or a landscape. The viewers mind can fill in the gaps.
58. understanding perspective is the key to any sketch
The world around us is different from the image that our brain creates. We perceive it through a process that altera shapes and colors known as perspective. If it where any other way, we wouldn’t be able to perceive distance and make the difference between two objects miles apart from each other. This is the first step to make a landscape realistic.
59. find inspiration in your personality
60. lovely sketchy shopfronts
Looks so easy! Give it a go yourself and see how talented you are!
61. you can really feel the atmosphere of the place
via Ian Mcque
62. EXPERIENCE is a hard earned thing
These images of a snail were drawn while the artist kept his eyes closed. This goes to prove how much the relationship between the brain and the hands can develop through a lot of practice.
via Shannon Hunter
63. start any design with a hand sketch
64. sculptural black and white body drawings
If the shape you chose to draw is too complicated, divide it into smaller and easier to manage shapes and you’ll definitely succeed.
65. life is a never ending string of memories
66. stunning hand sketch
Nowadays artists try to find the most unusual methods of expressing their thoughts. Some ideas are very original and stand out between conventional methods.
67. expressive simple drawings
68. basic anatomical studies of a balerina
69. cute girly designs for your spare time
70. Interesting anime inspired designs
The anime style has definitely established itself as a particular and special drawing style that is loved by people of all ages.
71. drawing a dandelion is easy and playful
72. FANTASTIC fast sketching
73. mother nature surely is diverse
74. small sketches are great and easy to do
75. a good drawing can support any idea
76. wonderful mountain mini landscape drawing
77. pretty sketchy dandelions
78. cute graphite fox drawing
79. charming strings of leaves
80. nature is often based on symmetry
81. urban SILHOUETTE sketch
82. the essence of a woman’s body
Our minds are designed to approximate and use memories to fill in the gaps. That’s why a simple curves line can in fact mean much more than you’d think at the first glance.
83. stunning letter design
Use this type of sketches for logo designs and commercials. By replacing some letters with symbols, the word gains a vibrant expression.
84. you don’t need much to transmit a message
85. small liner camping sketch
Even a small sketch like this one holds enough information to help you imagine the place wish you were there.
86. the world is yours to draw
87. stunning bird tattoo drawing
88. delicate humming-bird idea
89. drawing can be a means of RELAXATION
Simple drawings are not always easy to create. You have to be able to see the essence in every object to be able to represent it without details.
90. traditional house sketching
91. graphite face CONTINUOUS drawing
You might think you’ve seen better representations of the human body but try to do it with a single line and you will surely see it as a challenge.
92. flower collection drawing idea
93. the steps of a stunning design
Apart from the beautiful and expressive shapes the artist has created, the color shape a great ambiance, beautiful balance, a stunning image. Pay attention to color combinations and saturation. If you struggle to find the right ratio, seek inspiration in nature. It never fails.
94. cartoon-like ALLIGATOR sketch
95. animation study SKETCHES
96. shape iconic cartoon characters
97. simple And expressive woman outline
98. the SIMPLICITY of EXPRESSING emotions
We communicate 90% of our emotions and thoughts through our body language and only 10% through speech. Learning how to represent them in a drawing involves understanding how us humans express ourselves by shaping our lips, eyebrows or nose. That’s why emoticons are so popular. They can relate, though on a very superficial level, with how we feel our what we desire to say.
99. Playfulness in an artistic hand
100. TREE HOUSE graphic illustration
101. two drawings in one
102. Dream worlds materialized
Drawing is perhaps the best way to communicate our thoughts and imagination, along with music, sculpture or dancing. But, out of all the arts, drawing is perhaps the most accessible. All you need is a sheet of paper and a pen. Don’t hesitate and give it a try yourself!
103. finding inspiration in fantasy FAIRY TALES
104. playing with colors can be fun
Even though it’s hard too match colors, you will definitely succeeded in choosing the right ones. It might not look easy but once you decide which road to go for, you’ll see how everything becomes an easy-playful task.
105. buy a SKETCHBOOK to easily express your THOUGHTS
An artist must always be ready to create! Inspiration can come at any moment and it’s imperative that he takes advantage and lay’s down his ideas. Either that or he might stumble upon a wonderful landscape or image of a city that he wants to capture. Being able to draw on the spot requires practice and the ability to focus in any situation.
106. lovely NIGHTTIME landscape drawing
107. use geometric shapes for expressive drawings
I would say this is becoming a trend. And a very appealing one. Creativity knows no boundaries.
108. expressing the essence of animal shapes
They are simple and very expressive, they transmit a lot of information through minimum effort and time.
109. ideas one step further
A sketch is sometimes worth more than a carefully drawn landscape. And, you only need a pen and a notebook.
110. AWKWARD ideas can often lead to amazing things
111. intricate natural themed drawing
The artistic world simply carries humanity forwards, in art we find refuge, in art we find balance. A simple line, a drop of ink, a brush swing, all parts of a greater effort that simply changes the world, in increments. It shapes an universe in which everything is possible, one in which color, line and texture are infinitely valuable and powerful.
Step in this realm.
Pick up your pencil and simply, draw.